The Presbyterian Church of
has the distinction of being the oldest congregation in Lawrence County. In
the early 1800's, the Rev. Isaac Reed, a
Presbyterian minister working with the American Home Mission Society,
number of Presbyterian churches in southern Indiana. From his base in New Albany, Mr.
Reed started churches as far
north as Greencastle and Franklin. In 1819, he founded a church in the
town of Palestine, located on the
northern bank of the White
River, county seat of the newly formed Lawrence County.
The congregation met in homes and in the courthouse. In 1825, the
was moved north to Bedford,
and several years later, the Presbyterian church followed. On May
7,1831 it was
instituted as the Bedford Presbyterian Church, with eighteen members.
Our church is a
member of the Ohio Valley Presbytery and the Presbyterian Church in the
USA. We conform to the mission of the presbytery
which is to share the Light of Christ with the world.
Our vision is to demonstrate what God intends
for all humanity by living together in unity, forgiveness, and